Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Music for January

So lets get down to it. There is usually a lull in new music throughout December and January usually coming out in full throttle. However, there have been some new tracks coming out in December that have blown my mind. This was the past year of Eminem. He came out flying with the Recovery album, and a number of guest appearances. In the past week of December four songs leaked with Em gracing them. Topless a Dre song, Difficult, Coccaine and Syllables. Syllables is a song that takes a wack on the current state of music. Its brilliant with heavy hitters lining it. Jay-Z, Dre, 50 Cent, Stat Quo, Cashis and of course Em. Check it out.



Another band that is completely blowing my mind out there is White Lies. They have been growing in popularity after their first album, but they are set to explode with their second album out in January. Their last album "to lose my life..." didn't have a bad song on it. Even the B-sides were better than most songs I have heard this past year. Check out this B-Side "Black Song".. its the one that I have just downloaded and is racking up plays on my Itunes. They are a post-punk revival band from Britain, and if you like Joy Division, and other post-punk bands with dark lyrics, this is definitely for you.



Now, I am a huge oasis fan, and when they broke up, I was saddened. Liam has gone on to form a new band Beady Eye. They are relatively the same as old Oasis, and I am loving it. Their new album Different Gear, Still Speeding comes out in February. Check out the second single "Four Letter Word" -classic Oasis vibe.




What else is gracing my ears lately? Well, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's are definitely sparking my attention with a bonus track to Fever to Tell " Yeah, New York". An amazing song, sparse, but delicious. I am loving the somewhat new Yeasayer disc with catchy songs "O.N.E." and "Ambling Amp". After receiving a punk rock book, I have been downloading some original Emo, Nerd rock, Pop Punk. I am loving the Descendents and Rites of Spring. Vampire Weekend are another original band I am loving. Going back a step to my third favourite band -Alkaline Trio. I have been rejuvanated in my love for them. Their gothic punk feel (like AFI except faster) blows me away. Their simple chord and song structure always gets me.



Now to end the year, as it is now a new one. Lets have a look at two big slumps I have seen. The first is Stereos. They were a popular band picked of the MuchMusic show disband. They were signed released a big album with popular singles. To capitalize on their new found sucess a followup was immediately released. It is terrible with bad auto-tune, poor choruses and lack of orginality. Sophomore slump?



The last one is Gorillaz. Now I mostly like this band. Most of their songs tickle my fancy but their latest album is weirder than normal. Recorded on their tour of America. I don't know what Damon was thinking. Their are some interesting songs, but the first single is terrible (an instrumental single ?!). Nevertheless, if you can listen to it first, try it out. But I think it is a terrible follow-up to some incredible LP's. This is the first single I was talking about. Its not the best. When you first listen to it, its interesting, but I want more. Vocals would have been nice.



Anyways I hope your holidays were great dear reader. Check back for new music at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment